Mind Chatter is the constant stream of thoughts that runs through our minds. These thoughts can be productive, negative, or neutral. When Mind Chatter is negative, it can be very disruptive and make it difficult to focus on the present moment.
8 Ways Negative Mind Chatter can Manifest Itself
- Worrying about failure
- Dwelling on the past or past actions
- Judging yourself or others or circumstances negatively
- Thinking about all the things that could go wrong
- Avoiding a decision
- Making false assumptions
- Increasing overall stress and anxiety
- Looking for the perfect word, phrase, object, moment, person, or….
There are many benefits to being positive. Positive people tend to be happier, healthier, have stronger relationships, and be more resilient and productive in the face of challenges and frustrations.
5 Things You Can Do to Deal with Negative Mind Chatter and Live a More Positive Life
- Pay attention to your thoughts. The first step to getting rid of negative Mind Chatter is to become aware of your negative thoughts.
- Challenge your negative thoughts. Once you’re aware of your negative thoughts, label them.
- Focus on the present moment. When you find yourself caught up in negative thoughts, bring your attention back to the present moment. Focus on your breathing, your surroundings, or a sound or touch within your space.
- Practice positive mental fitness. Focus on the present moment and let go of negative thoughts.
- Establish neural pathways and build up new habits when negative Mind Chatter hijacks you.
Mind Chatter can be difficult to overcome, but it’s not impossible. It doesn’t need to control your life.